Skip to content
Contact About us Swedish residents

"Life Sciences - The Era of Precision Medicine"

The conference "Life Sciences - The Era of Precision Medicine" featured engaging panel discussions on the future of precision medicine.

According to Anna Wedell, Director of Precision Medicine Center Karolinska, we are currently experiencing a groundbreaking advancement in precision medicine. With the ability to generate vast amounts of data from individuals and offer accurate diagnostics and targeted treatments, we have truly entered a new era. 

One of the key topics of discussion was data, and the European Health Data Space is set to play a crucial role in pushing things forward and making sure everyone's voices are heard. 

Data gives precision medicine the statistics needed to decide whether or not a treatment will be effective for a specific patient. According to Prof. Dr. Heyo K. Kroemer, CEO of Charité University Hospital, precision medicine presents a complex ethical dilemma. We are shifting from a paradigm of treating all individuals equally to a situation where two patients with essentially the same disease may receive different treatments. This discrepancy arises from statistical evidence indicating a 90% likelihood that a particular treatment or drug will not be effective for one of the patients. Nevertheless, individuals facing life-threatening diseases would undoubtedly opt for the 10% chance of success. 

Prof. Dr. Stefan Sleijfer, Chairman of the Executive Board of Erasmus MC, emphasized the importance of using personalized medicine appropriately. The current approach to medical practice is inadequate. Many patients are being overly treated, and interventions are being administered without sufficient knowledge of their outcomes. To ensure the sustainability of healthcare, we should discontinue the implementation of interventions that do not provide tangible benefits for patients. 

Site visit of Precision Medicine Center Karolinska 

During the conference, Karolinska University Hospital had the privilege of hosting participants for a visit to PMCK (Precision Medicine Center Karolinska), where they could witness the continuous development and daily innovations taking place. 

As Björn Zoëga, CEO of Karolinska emphasized.

– Today is about learning and drawing inspiration, but tomorrow is the time for action. Our collective goal is to make precision health accessible to every man and woman in the union. 


Photo: Fredric Möller Eklund

Last updated:

Similar news

"It is very gratifying that we finally have a new medication for this severe disease," says Soo Aleman, professor and senior consultant.
This is the first global ‘Undiagnosed Hackathon’ which takes place at Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm.